Monday, June 25, 2012

Hair today, gone tomorrow

It's been a long time since high school - yet this mop of hair on my head has stayed about the same.

If only little high school Karen realized that her last graduation ceremony would be 16 years later. 

It was time for a change, so I decided to do something a little drastic:

Yikes!
I am not sure what I think about it yet.  The first day I really liked it.  Today, I thought 'is it uneven?' and reached out for the scissors that I had used to cut open bags of soil and began to snip pieces of hair away.   Somewhere out there a hair stylist was screaming.

I guess I just need to get use to it.

Walking into work, I tried to imagine the reaction and support I would have found back at Duke surrounded by my dear friends in the Willard lab.   However, as the only girl postdoc in the Haussler group I knew that I had to leave all expectations at the bike rack at the bottom of the hill.

I did get an occasional second look, and on my way into the post-doc office I did get a few comments.  However, once at my desk all was initially quiet...one person asked: 'did  you do something different to your hair, is it shorter?'  Later that day I got a 'your hair looks lighter - did you lighten it too?'

They did notice!   So I guess that means that it was a pretty significant change.

I have no idea how long I will keep it short or this color, but it is a clear change from circa 1996.  Plus I think I look more like my Mom, which is a nice bonus.

I am not sure which superimposed head looks creepier.  Either way, Mom looks beautiful

Ed should get a nice shock when he gets back into town tomorrow night.  He put an alarm on his phone to remind him that I had my hair cut so that he would not forget to say something when he sees me.   I have a feeling that sweet Migs will notice right away.

2 comments:

  1. You look hot. Don't let anyone not tell you differently :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenny T! Come visit us:) we miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete